In the past few weeks, several injury-related stories have come across our various news feeds. In case you missed them, here are three of those stories, along with the tips you need to keep your family safer.
Story: A child in Oregon almost died after she was given liquid nicotine (used in electronic cigarettes—known as vaping) rather than liquid pain reliever. The girl’s mother bought concentrated liquid nicotine, diluted it for use, and stored it in an empty pain reliever bottle in the refrigerator. The girl’s father then gave a dose of the liquid to his daughter, believing it to be pain reliever. The child was rushed to the hospital with a variety of symptoms, including trouble breathing and low heart rate.
Problem: Liquid nicotine was improperly stored in a child's medicine bottle in the refrigerator.
Solution: Use clearly-marked bottles when diluting concentrated liquid nicotine. Store all liquid nicotine, e-cigarettes, and other vaping supplies locked up and out of sight and reach of children. Have the number for poison control (1-800-222-1222) programmed into your phone.
Story: A 3-year-old boy died after choking on food at daycare. The details of this incident are unclear, but the article states that the child had trouble breathing after trying to chew up a meatball. Employees at the daycare center performed the Heimlich maneuver and CPR, but ultimately the boy died after being taken to the hospital.
Problem: A young child was given food that was a choking hazard.
Solution: Cut food into 1/2-inch pieces before giving it to children younger than 6 years old. Always watch children carefully when they are eating. Talk to your child's caregiver about choking.
Story: A “nanny cam” catches two boys climbing their bedroom dresser, which tips over onto them. One child is trapped underneath, but after a few minutes, the child's twin brother figures out how to push the dresser off of him. The boys' mother didn't hear the dresser fall and only knew one of her sons had been trapped underneath when she saw the video.
Solution: Anchor it! Secure your furniture and televisions to the wall with straps or brackets.
Click on a topic to explore the blog.
- amusement rides
- car seats
- carbon monoxide
- Christopher Columbus Award
- consumer products
- Conversation Starter
- Greater Good
- guest post
- injury in the news
- Injury Prevention
- National Child Injury Prevention Week
- Next steps
- Operation End Injury
- Read This
- Round of Applause
- safe sleep
- take action
- why injury
- Yes It Really Happens